Butler Library is a three-story above-grade building constructed in 1951. It has one floor below grade. From 1966 to 1970 a large addition was constructed around the 1951 footprint resulting in a final 215,259 gross square foot building.
In recent years Butler Library has been continuously transformed from a traditional library to the setting for 24-hour study quads, a writing center, group study areas, and technology-based study. This project seeks to further the transformation by reconfiguring parts of the first and second floors and a minor area of the second floor to accommodate the Academic Commons, technology support for students, and a reimaged Information Commons. The Academic Commons brings together offices with a diverse set of missions, each providing assistance to students as they seek to fulfill their academic potential and graduate in the timeliest manner. The Academic Commons includes tutoring, academic advising, the Writing Help Center, the Math Center, the EOP Academic Center for Excellence, and Student Accessibility Services. A variety of shared spaces for testing, individual and group tutoring and advising are included. The goal is to create a “one-stop-shop” to meet the academic needs of students.
In addition to programmatic goals, critical maintenance needs addressed in the project area included hazardous material removal, new mechanical systems for ventilation and air conditioning, electrical and data distribution upgrades, window replacements, finish upgrades and a reconfigured vestibule.
Back to Top
Some content on this page is saved in PDF format. To view these files, download Adobe Acrobat Reader free. If you are having trouble reading a document, request an accessible copy of the PDF or Word Document.